Wednesday, November 25, 2009

From Sensory Overload to Gadget Glory - 11-25-09

Engadget.com got a redesign last week. It’s pretty amazing how it changes the impression of what Engadget is. It looks like a site for gadget news and features as opposed to a gadget blog.





When I first saw it, all the colors and text put me into a pseudo-coma from all the information being pounded into my brain. After that subsided, I was quite impressed with the presentation. All of the stories deemed important by the Engadget staff at the very top of the page before the user can see any other news posts. It gives the feeling of a company that really cares about how they look so that when someone links to them, the user following the link sees that the website is reputable and professional. Blogs have a negative connotation, especially for people who do not follow blogs on a regular basis as their news source, so making a blog site look different than a typical blog is a great design choice.

In my week of using it, I only have one issue with the site. With all of the top-of-page featured content, my 1280x1024 resolution monitor does not see any brand new news content without scrolling. I only have to scroll slightly, but I feel that dedicating that much real-estate to content that may not be the “hottest new thing” does not seem like the best idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment