Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My DJ is Smarter Than Yours 11-24-09

Smart DJ is a feature in the 4.0 version of the Zune software for Windows. For iTunes or Last.FM users, it’s similar to the Genius playlists or the “Play Your Recommendations” playlists, respectively. It takes information of the user, in the case of Smart DJ by what the user asks for, and gathers songs together into a playlist of up to 100 songs.

The main differentiating point of Smart DJ versus Genius or Last.FM is how it takes advantage of the Zune Pass. You can tell a Smart DJ playlist to look for songs from your hard drive, the Zune Marketplace and your Hard Drive, or just the Zune Marketplace. The last two features are only possible for users of the Zune Pass. Combine it with the ability to tell the playlist to refresh and find new songs on a schedule of your choosing and you have a constantly changing list of songs based on an artist, album or song that you already enjoy and want to find more like it.

Were I working at Microsoft, there is definitely something I would change. There is no way to tell the Smart DJ to not grab certain artists/songs/albums. My guess is that the DJ feature is more limited than Microsoft lets on, where each artist only has a handful of other artists to take songs from. If that’s not the case, then I would love it even more if I could listen to my Lilly Allen playlist without it having to skip all of the Coldplay and The Fray selections that it throws at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment