Wednesday, November 25, 2009

We’ll Stick Together as We’re Writing a Blog Post - 11-25-09

Tripping Down the Freeway is a new song from Weezer on their new album, Raditude. A cheery melody with lyrics that could be interpreted in multiple ways, it’s my favorite song on the album.





I listen to most of my music while driving or walking, and this song’s rhythm has a great sense of motion. In my mind, I can see the lines of the road or cracks in the sidewalk passing by as the song progressing. My favorite part is what I consider to be the climax of the song where only the vocals and guitar are heard, which gives me the sensation of being on a long curve where the “g’s” of the turn are pushing you into the car a bit.





I was interested to see if anyone else on this wonderful series of tubes, better known as the Internet, shared similar feelings in regards to driving songs and motion. One of the first results I found on google was a list on DormDelicious.com. Number 21 was song I enjoyed, Shipping up to Boston by the Dropkick Murphys. I wanted to listen to it again, so I found the Youtube video of their music video. Imagine my surprise when the beginning of the song, and all of the “action” later, is based around motion: trains, car rides, foot chases, the whole nine yards. There has to be something to this idea of a driving song conveying the idea of motion if a director is going to show various acts of movement to accompany a song like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment